The Here and Now

Sometimes I write 5 times a day, sometimes I'll write 5 times a month. Either way, I hope you'll come back and check up on me :) If you're not sure whether you want to stay or go, read my About Me dohickey.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

25 Things About Me (or, What Makes Me So Darn Quirky)

1. Hi. I’m Laura. 100 doesn’t seem like such a big number, until you start to make a fact sheet about yourself and are crossing your fingers that you can come up with that many things worth sharing.

2. I live…somewhere. And part of the purpose of this blog is to see if I can stop over-sharing information with complete strangers. So this is a start.

3. I’m nearing 25, and it scares me.

4. I don’t have any kids, but I’d like some. After marriage, of course.

5. I’ve been with my boyfriend for 5 years. Some days it’s glorious, some days not-so-much, but we stick with it. :)

6. Suze Orman answered a letter in a recent issue of O! magazine where a woman said she was 30, and had a savings of $30,000. This baffled me, so much so that I forgot what the letter was even asking. But I, at that point, took it upon myself to also have $30,000 saved up by my 30th. My short-term goal is $3,000 by my upcoming birthday. It’s not much, but it’s better than nothing. :) I’m constantly making progress on that goal.

7. Another goal of mine is to lose weight. In the past 24 hours, I’ve heard mention of people saying that the best short-term goal is 10% of your body weight. So there you have it. That’s what I’m reaching towards.

8. I don’t like to shake hands.

9. I don’t like phones that smell like perfume. Your perfume shouldn’t linger behind you for miles. It’s a pet peeve when phones smell like anything other than the plastic they’re made of.

10. I love buying things to mail to long-distance int0rweb buddies, but chances are it’ll be about a year after I tell you that I’ve bought something for you before you actually receive it.

11. I don’t like being made to feel stupid. But I guess most people don’t.

12. I never took classes after I graduated from high school. I feel that I am becoming dumber on a daily basis. I hate that.

13. I grew up in a Baptist church. I don’t have any issues with the church, but I no longer attend one.

14. I currently participate in live cast performances of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Talk about a far cry from spending my Friday nights at church lock-ins.

15. I am typing this in Word, capitalizing things without the help of the editor thingie. Mainly because I hate typing in caps online, but I am doing it here so that you will still think me smart (see #11). I don’t like that Word has put a red squiggle under “thingie”.

16. I haven’t figured out my dream career yet. All’s I know is I am not in it currently (see #3).

17. My least favorite thing to capitalize online is my “i”. I always try to use proper grammar and punctuation, though (well, other than the caps. SHOOSH!).

18. People think I’m odd. I guess I am. And I won’t lie that it bugs me to be odd. I’m down with the whole “conformity is boring”…“what IS normal, anyways?”…sort of thinking, but it’s something completely different when you are 24 and not yet down with your “oddness”.

19. I have a dog (a precious poodle-like pitbull), and a snake (a ball python). My tarantula died in molt on Memorial Day weekend. BSL scares me, but I don’t do anything about it. I really SHOULD be more proactive.

20. I listen to all sorts of music.

21. I have no sense of style, whatsoever. Well, that’s not entirely true. I have SOME sense of style, but I can never afford to cater to it. I dress in whatever fits and is clean.

22. I’m not a foodie, but I wish I was. I like learning about new foods, and I like taking pictures of food. The boyfriend calls me crazy for it (see #23).

23. I’m a pseudo-photographer. I take pictures of any and everything. Only, like, 1 in 15 ever turn out decently enough for the eyes of others.

24. I hate housework, especially laundry. I can’t understand how all the women before me have managed to do it successful without their house falling in around them, or dying of exhaustion. It gives me a newfound respect for mothers.

25. 25 is quite enough, dontcha think? I’ll add to this list as I deem necessary.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger lazy cow said…

    Hi Laura, Welcome to the blogging world!
    Don't worry about feeling odd. I really don't think *anyone* is normal.
    I only started being interested in food when I was 25 (and I'm nearly 40 now).

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Laura/PFG said…

    ooh! my first comment!! yay!! and how appropriate for it to be from you, after i just added you to my newest entry! :) thanks!

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Blogger lazy cow said…

    I know what it's like to get my first comment - mine was from Blackbird and it made me so happy.
    (I've been away so I haven't been checking my mail till just now).
    Stick with it, i think you'll find most peoples' first few blog posts are a bit awkward :-)

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Laura/PFG said…

    well, i DO have another online journal other than my blogerthingie. but it's just so weird that on here, you don't get notified when people reply to the thread...or, if you DO, then i'm sure as heck not getting any notices! lol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home